Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday

Started to type the word Sunday in as my title for my blog and my computer thought I was going to type, "Silver fox laminated bow."  Now that was a stretch!

Went out for Japanese food last night. I found myself wishing I knew more about Japanese food.  I couldn't tell you whether it was authentic or Americanized?  My husband ordered eel.  While we were waiting he described eel to me in depth, their teeth, their mouths. How they suck on salmon as they are floating down the river. I had to make him stop talking about them, as I had already committed to trying a bite.


I was thrown off a bit when the waitress brought a little platter with two bundles of rice, two pieces of a fish looking morsel wrapped with a thin ribbon of seaweed. She presented it like this, "Here this will get you started."  As she placed two small (tiny) dishes out one for me and one for my husband.  I immediately thought to myself, "Oh a "free" appetizer, now the high prices make sense!"  So without hesitation, I broke my chop sticks apart and barely managed to get my portion of the appetizer on my little dish. Having only eaten a little bit of macaroni salad earlier in the day, I was famished and my piece was gone in a few seconds. My husband savored his piece and described it in detail as he was eating it. He experimented with the green stuff and coughed and tried to breathe his way through the sinus clearing!  Ugh wasabi!

I felt a little foolish a few moments later when I realized that the dish was not an appetizer, but his eel. Had I known it was the eel, I would have approached the dish differently. I would have hemmed and hawed, taken only a small portion of the tiny thing and washed it down with more water. As it was, I might be tempted to try this again some day.

I ordered the Savory Rib Eye.  Always safe!  It came with Meso soup.  More to my husbands liking.  I had him finish it.  I love hot and sour soup, Chinese!  On the side of my soup was a chilled bowl of cucumbers that had been soaked in salt water and a tiny bunch of cold seaweed and various other crunchy things!

The Rib Eye Steak was extremely generous!  Very big!  It wasn't seasoned like most restaurants season, so I used the remaining wasabi like it was horseradish. Maybe it is horseradish.

As I sparingly slathered wasabi on my steak, the owner of the company came to our table and loudly proclaimed, "Oh dat is eat, dat is how I eat it too!"  As we did the cursory head bobbing bow to him we complemented him on the food and hoped we hadn't made too big of fools out of ourselves!  AWKWARD!

We should probably stick to Mexican food!  Buen as nochas

No comments:

Post a Comment